Home   Sport   Article

Rothes dent Formartine United's Highland League title challenge while Brechin City and Banks O'Dee win at Lossiemouth and Keith

By Craig Christie

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Rothes held Formartine United to a 2-2 draw in the Highland League on Wednesday night.

Liam Shewan scored Rothes' second goal against Formartine. Picture: Beth Taylor
Liam Shewan scored Rothes' second goal against Formartine. Picture: Beth Taylor

Title challengers United twice trailed at Mackessack Park before heading east with a point.

Gary Kerr's fine strike had the home side ahead on 26 minutes with Aidan Combe quickly levelling.

Liam Shewan restored Rothes' advantage just after half time and Julian Wade's 15th goal of the season for Formartine levelled it up again on 74 minutes.

Ex-Forres Mechanics loanee Ethan Cairns netted twice for Banks O' Dee in their 3-1 win at Keith.

Cairns, on loan from Caley Thistle, scored twice in a ten minute spell inside the first half hour, his first two goals for the club.

Max Alexander added a third on 53 minutes before sub Mikey Taylor scored what proved to be a late Maroons consolation goal.

Former Elgin City manager Gavin Price returned to Moray with his Brechin City side for a visit to Lossiemouth.

The league leaders hit Lossie with a three-goal salvo in a 17-minute spell in the first half, with Ewan Loudon, Danny Handling and Marc Scott on target.

The Coasters put up the shutters after that as Brechin went home with a 3-0 victory.

Latest league standings
Latest league standings

In the Aberdeenshire Cup, Inverurie Locos came from 3-1 down to defeat Dyce while another Aberdeen junior side ousted Turriff United from the competition.

Locos led through Milosz Ochmanski's first goal for the club before Dyce scored three times in a ten minute spell.

Paul Coutts' penalty took it back to 3-2 before half time, and the home side found another gear in the second half as Sam Robertson and two from Myles Gaffney earned a 5-3 win.

Turriff visited North Superleague side Hermes and found themselves a goal behind after 60 seconds.

Reece McKeown levelled from the spot but the Aberdonians netted before half time, then scored a third after Jack McKenzie was red-carded for the visitors.

John Allan's last minute penalty wasn't enough for Turriff as they went down 3-2.

Fraserburgh proved too strong for hosts Huntly as braces by Ryan Sargent and Paul Young landed Broch a 4-0 win at Christie Park.

The one outstanding tie in the first round sees Buckie Thistle hosts Banks O' Dee next Wednesday - the sides also meet in the league on Saturday.

The winners of that match are away to Deveronvale, who are unlikely to be able to host a midweek match due to floodlighting damage.

In the other three quarter-finals, Keith host Aberdeen, Inverurie are at home to Formartine and Hermes visit Fraserburgh.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More