Home   Sport   Article

Islavale reach Elginshire Cup final by defeating Banks o’ Dee while Lossiemouth United beat Burghead Thistle to maintain promotion push

By Craig Christie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

All-conquering Islavale reached the final of the Elginshire Cup after a superb win away to Banks o’ Dee Juniors on Saturday.

Former Lossiemouth defender Fergus Edwards (left) scored Islavale’s cup semi-final winner. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Former Lossiemouth defender Fergus Edwards (left) scored Islavale’s cup semi-final winner. Picture: Daniel Forsyth

Not content with trying to pip the Aberdeen side to the Championship title, Vale sent Dee spinning out of the cup thanks to defender Fergus Edwards’ first half goal.

The Keith side have now won 11 games in a row in all competitions and will meet Deveronside in the final at Maud on Sunday, May 5.

‘Side defeated Longside on penalties after a 1-1 draw in the other semi.

Islavale are top of the Championship with two games in hand and certain to be promoted to the Premier League next season.

Championship table
Championship table

They have won 16 consecutive league outings, their latest being a 7-1 thumping of neighbours Dufftown last Tuesday.

Lossiemouth United put themselves in with a great chance of promotion to the Premier League with a 3-1 derby win at Burghead Thistle on Saturday.

Both teams are bidding for a top four place and a chance to move up a league, but Burghead got off to a horror start when goalkeeper Aidan MacDonald was sent off inside the opening ten minutes for handling outside his penalty area.

Despite being down to ten, Thistle took the lead when Caiol Provan headed home.

Lossie free kick specialist Alex Matczak added to his two setpiece strikes in midweek by battering home another kick, then added his second from the penalty spot before Ross Archibald added number three for the visitors.

Burghead missed a penalty late on as United picked up a crucial three points to put them third in the table.

Forres Thistle went down 2-0 at home to Banchory St Ternan and Dufftown were involved in a thrilling 4-4 draw at home to Hall Russell United.

The Toonsers led early on through a Kelvin Main goal but went 2-1 behind before but Jake Logan levelled midway through the first half.

Hall Russell regained the lead early in the second half and Callum McIntosh made it 3-3 inside the last ten minutes.

The visitors thought they had snatched victory in the final minute but Main went up the park to score his second and earn a point for Dufftown.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More