Home   Sport   Article

Highland League round-up: Formartine United win top-of-the-table clash, Forres Mechanics fightback falls short and Rothes win at Clachnacuddin

By Craig Christie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Formartine United stretched their lead at the top of the league while Rothes made it three wins out of four.

Craig MacKenzie netted for Forres in their 3-2 defeat at Brora. Picture: Daniel Forsyth..
Craig MacKenzie netted for Forres in their 3-2 defeat at Brora. Picture: Daniel Forsyth..

The top-of-the table clash at Christie Park between second-placed Huntly and leaders Formartine was decided by a solitary goal.

Julian Wade's 37th minute strike won all three points for Formartine.

The scoreline was the same at Grant Street Park where Ben Johnstone's 45th minute effort landed Rothes a 1-0 success over Clach.

Brechin City won 4-0 at Deveronvale to remain unbeaten and edge up to second.

League table
League table

An early own goal, two for Grady McGrath and one for Ewan Spark eased Brechin to victory.

Forres Mechanics staged a fightback at Brora Rangers which fell just short.

It looked bleak for the Cans when they trailed 3-0 at Dudgeon Park after 35 minutes.

Adam Mackinnon, Jordan MacRae and Max Ewan looked to have set up a comfortable Cattachs win.

But Craig MacKenzie pulled one back before half time and when home defender Millar Gamble was sent off with ten minutes left, a second Mechanics goal by sub Taylor Thain made Brora sweat it out for their win.

Buckie v Lossie and Keith v Strathspey were both postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

There was late fireworks in Caithness, where Inverurie Locos missed a late penalty to take the lead against Wick Academy then conceded a stoppage time winner.

Marc MacGregor's goal had Academy ahead at the break before Thomas reid levelled for Locos with eight minutes to go.

Locos then got a penalty kick but Myles gaffney's kick was saved.

Two minutes into time added on, Rob McLean pounced to fire Wick to victory.

Two first half goals by Aaron Nicolson and Calum Dingwall helped Nairn County to a 2-1 win at home to Turriff United.

Ewan Clark pulled one back midway through the second half but Nairn held on.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More