Home   Sport   Article

Forres Mechanics 2 Banks O' Dee 2: Fighting Forres come from behind twice to draw

By Jonathan Clark

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

FORRES Mechanics manager Steven MacDonald was "delighted" with his players after they twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Banks O' Dee at Mosset Park.

The visitors went in front through Garry Wood's 34th minute effort but Forres were level at half-time through Ethan Cairns.

Banks O' Dee – who started the day fourth in the table – were back ahead just three minutes after the restart through Lachie Macleod, but Forres took a point thanks to Tom Brady's goal 10 minutes from time.

MacDonald said: "I'm delighted with how the boys reacted to going behind twice against a really good side and I'm really pleased to get a point in the end.

Forres Mechanics' manager Steven MacDonald...Picture: Daniel Forsyth..
Forres Mechanics' manager Steven MacDonald...Picture: Daniel Forsyth..

"I'm disappointed with the goals we lost. The first one three went for the same ball, and then we got caught at the start of the second half. It makes it hard against good teams to just give them goals.

"We were really positive at half-time and said how well we were doing then all of a sudden we are 2-1 down. It makes it hard. So all credit to the boys for sticking at it."

Ethan Cairns scored for Forres equaliser five minutes before half-time – but he was a constant threat to the visiting goal throughout the first period.

He had his first opportunity after 10 minutes when he volleyed Mark McLauchlan's clipped ball over the defence wide of goal.

Forres Mechanics' on loan forward Ethan Cairns. ..Picture: Daniel Forsyth..
Forres Mechanics' on loan forward Ethan Cairns. ..Picture: Daniel Forsyth..

The on-loan Inverness Caledonian Thistle forward went close again 10 minutes later when he robbed Luke Emmett of possession on the edge of the box and fired in a shot that was inches wide of target.

Kane Winton had the visitors' first chance on 25 minutes when he found himself unmarked in the box from a corner but his header drifted a yard wide.

The visitors began to gain control and took the lead on 34 minutes when Lachie Macleod controlled a free-kick into the box and squared for Garry Wood to net from close range.

Their lead lasted just six minutes, though, as Cairns reaped the rewards for an impressive first half performance.

Andy Skinner's free-kick was nodded across the box by Lee Fraser and Cairns' shot on the turn squirmed past Daniel Hoban and in for 1-1.

Cairns could have had another before the break as his marauding run down the right took him into the box – but both he and Skinner saw shots blocked.

Banks O' Dee took the lead again within minutes of the restart. A long ball into the box was flicked on by Winton and Macleod knocked home from close range.

The game became more bitty after the break with fewer chances at either end. The next big opportunity came when Forres equalised 10 minutes from time through Tom Brady.

Dylan Stuart is chased by Mechanics full-back Tom Brady. Forres Mechanics v Turriff United at Mosset Park...Picture: Becky Saunderson..
Dylan Stuart is chased by Mechanics full-back Tom Brady. Forres Mechanics v Turriff United at Mosset Park...Picture: Becky Saunderson..

Calum Frame's defence-splitting pass put Brady through as he sprung the offside trap and poked calmly past Hoban despite a heavy first touch.

The visitors had two big chances to win late on. Max Alexander hit the post in the 90th minute after great work from Dayshonne Golding, before Lee Herbert made a fantastic save to tip a low effort round the post in stoppage time.

Manager MacDonald was pleased with his two goalscorers. He added: "Ethan had a great game until he got injured.

"That's twice this year he has given them a really hard time, so it was good to see him back on form.

"Tom had a couple of chances up at Brora last week and was laughing because he got this one after they were giving him a hard time for missing those last week.

"He didn't take a great first touch and I thought it was gone, but he got there sharp and poked it in so that was good. He's been doing great in the last four or five games."

Forres are in derby action on Saturday when they travel to Station Park to take on Nairn County.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More