Home   News   Article

Man who assaulted partner on train station platform sentenced to unpaid work

By Court Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

A MAN who assaulted his partner on the platform of Elgin train station because he believed she'd been unfaithful has been sentenced to 135 hours of unpaid work in the community.

The assault took place on the platform at Elgin station.
The assault took place on the platform at Elgin station.

Barrie Macdonald, of Camperdown Road, Nairn, appeared at Inverness Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

The 42-year-old was also ordered to participate in a two year domestic abusers' programme.

Passing sentence, Sheriff Eilidh Macdonald said: "This was a nasty course of conduct culminating in a violent assault in a public place which caused scarring.

"And in the background report, you are placing some blame on your victim when it is your appalling and violent behaviour that is responsible."

The Sheriff told Macdonald that she had been considering sending him to prison.

She added the warning that if he did not comply with any part of her sentence, including being supervised by social workers, then he would be jailed.

Defence solicitor Mike Chapman said: "His jealousy and insecurity in the relationship contributed to this. Alcohol also played a part in his reprehensible behaviour but that is no excuse. He has now curtailed his drinking."

The court previously heard that McDonald had been in a relationship with the woman since 2014.

The incident in Elgin took place on August 14, 2021, following a social gathering in Lossiemouth.

Fiscal depute Martina Eastwood said that McDonald became angry that a work night being planned by the woman was going to involve male company.

He became aggressive and had to be physically manhandled away from her.

The pair ended up getting a lift to Elgin train station.

Both could be seen intoxicated on the platform and witnesses reported McDonald calling her a "******* slut" and a "******* liar".

Ms Eastwood said: "She moved away from him and he followed her. He seized her by the neck causing her to fall to the ground and strike her face."

The police were called and McDonald was arrested.

While being taken to the police station he tried to get out of the vehicle and kicked out at one of the officers. There was no injury.

A hospital examination subsequently found the woman had suffered multiple cuts and bruising to various parts of her body.

She was also left with a scar to her permanent disfigurement.

The court also heard of another incident when McDonald had become angry with the woman.

During July 2019 she returned home drunk at 9.30pm having been out for lunch and drinks with a friend.

On that occasion he pushed her and said he would "ruin her".

He also threatened to "put her head through a window".

The following day he called her a disgrace and told her to pack her bags.

He later threw a pile of wet washing on her before swearing at her.

McDonald admitted the train station assault as well as engaging in a course of conduct that was abusive to his former partner between July 27, 2019 and August 14, 2021.

He also pleaded guilty to trying to assault an officer in the execution of their duty.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More