Scottish football transfer window opens ahead of planned return to action
Contribute to support quality local journalism
THE Scottish football transfer window has been declared open today.
World football governing body FIFA granted a request by the Scottish FA and SPFL's coronavirus joint response group to begin a summer transfer window ahead of the new season start.
The window will remain open until midnight on Monday, October 5, the day before the Betfred League Cup competition is due to begin.
The Premiership is set to get underway on August 1 with matches played behind closed doors and streamed live to supporters over the internet.
Elgin City are scheduled to get their League 2 season underway on October 17, on the same date that Caley Thistle start in the Championship and Cove Rangers begin in League 1 after storming to the title in their debut League 2 year last season.
A spokesperson said: "The Joint Response Group has been examining the optimum summer transfer window for Scottish football clubs, with consideration to the impact of COVID-19 on domestic and international movement of players.
"A request submitted by the Scottish FA to open the transfer window from today (Tuesday, July 14) until midnight on Monday, October 5 has now been approved by FIFA."
The group said a number of factors were taken into consideration in submitting their recommendation for the transfer window to open.
- FIFA has confirmed that the summer transfer window cannot exceed 12 weeks.
- The staggered start dates to SPFL competitions and the need to try to strike an appropriate balance to allow all clubs to prepare for the new season.
- Matchday 1 of the Betfred Cup is scheduled for Tuesday, October 6.
- The recommendation from the European Leagues and UEFA that European associations close their transfer windows on 5 October.
- That the SPFL Board has approved, subject to approving the Regulations, amended loan principles for the coming season which extend the existing October Loan Window for League One and Two Clubs to also cover Championship clubs.
- Alignment, so far as possible, with other leagues and associations.
FIFA has also confirmed that the first registration period for Scottish Women’s Football will be from Wednesday, 15 July until Tuesday, 6 October.
This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you. BECOME A SUPPORTER
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.
In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.