Home   Sport   Article

Buckie Thistle's 23-game Highland League winning streak comes to an end but Jack Murray's injury time equaliser against Wick Academy keeps Jags in title race

By Craig Christie

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

AN injury time Jack Murray strike for Buckie Thistle pushed the Highland League title race into the final full weekend.

Jack Murray kept Buckie Thistle in the title race with his last gasp equaliser against Wick Academy. .Picture: Daniel Forsyth..
Jack Murray kept Buckie Thistle in the title race with his last gasp equaliser against Wick Academy. .Picture: Daniel Forsyth..

Leaders Fraserburgh were seconds away from being confirmed as champions when Wick Academy led Buckie 1-0 deep into stoppage time at Victoria Park.

But Murray, whose mistake led to Steven Anderson's 53rd minute goal for the visitors, fired home from the edge of the box to keep Jags' season alive.

The 1-1 draw means Buckie trail Fraserburgh by three points with a game each to play on Saturday.

Current league standings
Current league standings

It means Graeme Stewart's side need Broch to lose at home to Fraserburgh and for Jags to win at Clach to make up the three point gap and two-goal advantage currently held by the table toppers.

Buckie also had centre back Sam Morrison sent off on 78 minutes for a last-man foul, but the ten men rallied to grab what could turn out to be a crucial point.

Fort William may be consigned to a relegation play-off against Banks o' Dee but they picked up the consolation of their first victory of the season.

After four draws and 30 defeats in all competitions this season, Fort got three points on the board with a 4-2 success over Strathspey Thistle in Grantown.

Rothes moved above Inverurie Locos into sixth spot with a 3-1 win over the Harlaw Park side in a match played at Lossiemouth's Grant Park - with MacKessack Park unplayable.

A Ross Gunn brace either side of the break and a Greg Morrison goal took the Speysiders to victory, with Kieran Shanks netting a last minute penalty consolation for Locos.

Forres Mechanics let a 3-1 lead slip away at Clach as they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Stand-in centre back Lee Fraser edged Cans in front with his first goal since January and although Connor Bunce quickly levelled, Paul Brindle and Jack Grant fired Forres 3-1 ahead.

James Anderson pulled one back just before half time and levelled early in the second half with his 24th goal of the season, securing a 3-3 draw.

A Tyler Mykyta first half goal earned Formartine United a 1-0 win at Huntly despite having defender Kieran Lawrence sent off after an hour.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More