Home   Sport   Article

Highland League round-up: First victories for Turriff United and Wick Academy, Buckie Thistle lose ground and leaders Fraserburgh leave it late

By Craig Christie

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!

FRASERBURGH enhanced their title credentials with a last-gasp winner at Clach, while Brechin City saw off Buckie Thistle in a five-goal thriller.

Sam Morrison was sent off in Buckie Thistle's 3-2 defeat at Brechin. Picture: Daniel Forsyth..
Sam Morrison was sent off in Buckie Thistle's 3-2 defeat at Brechin. Picture: Daniel Forsyth..

Broch remain seven points clear of Inverurie Locos at the top, with the Harlaw Park side edging out Nairn County to stay in second place.

There was plenty drama at Grant Street Park where Clach took leaders Fraserburgh to the wire, only to lose out at the death.

The Buchan visitors struck in the first minute through Lewis Duncan before Clach goal machine James Anderson notched his 11th of the season to quickly level.

It stayed at 1-1 until the last minute when Scott Barbour popped up with his 11th counter of the campaign to snatch all three points.

Highland League table
Highland League table

Brechin City made it five win in a row in a controversial clash with Buckie.

The Glebe Park side led at the break through Jack Milne's goal but with wind advantage in the second half, Buckie were expected to respond.

Instead, Brechin were awarded a disputed penalty at the start of the second half and Kieran Inglis netted to make it 2-0.

Jags responded impressively, with Sam Urquhart's eighth goal of the season followed quickly by a spectacular Jack Murray volley to levell things up on 53 minutes.

But Marc Scott knocked in his eighth strike of the term on the hour to regain the lead for City.

Buckie missed a string of chances and their bad day was completed by a soft red card for defender Sam Morrison - his second dismissal at Glebe Park this season.

Neil Gauld's first half goal earned Inverurie a 1-0 success at Nairn County, who had Adam Porritt sent off.

It was a big day for Turriff United and Wick Academy who both picked up their first wins of the season.

Turriff did it in style with a 4-0 success over neighbours Deveronvale at The Haughs.

A freak goal got things going for United with James Chalmers' free kick from almost the halfway line looping over everyone and ending up in the back of the net on 19 minutes.

Two goals in two minutes by Kyle Buxton after the break put Turriff in command and Matty McDonald added a fourth to seal United's first victory in style.

Wick Academy finally turned draws into a victory, coming from behind to beat bottom side Fort William.

Marios Avraam's 16th minute handed the lead to Fort, who picked up their first point of the season in midweek with a 3-3 draw at Nairn.

Andrew Hardwick levelled for the caithness side before half time, and two goals in two minutes by Jack Halliday and Davie Allan in the closing 20 minutes got Academy over the line.

The Moray derby at Mosset Park saw Forres Mechanics and Keith fight out a goalless encounter.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Keep up-to-date with important news from your community, and access exclusive, subscriber only content online. Read a copy of your favourite newspaper on any device via the brand new HNM App.

Learn more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More